Attributes are properties of a hero, creature, or follower that determine proficiency in combat or other gameplay functions. Attributes are also referred to as "stats," although the former is the terminology used in-game.
Hero attributes are listed on the "attributes" section of the left-hand panel. Each attribute is represented by two numbers, one of which is in parentheses. The number without parentheses represents base attribute without taking into account any effects of items spells or blessings. The number in parentheses represents actual current attribute value, as modified by items, spells, potions or blessings.
See also starting attributes for a table of beginning attributes for each hero class.
- Strength (STR) – Strength determines carry capacity and physical damage.
- Vitality (VIT) – Vitality determines the hero's HP.
- Intelligence (INT) – Intelligence determines the ability to learn spells, the damage and attack resolution of spells, and crafting success.
- Willpower (WIL) – Willpower affects the amount of piety gained by praying at temples, as well as the damage of the Monk class.
- Artifice (ART) – Artifice affects the ability to sneak up on monsters, as well as the "Attack of Opportunity" ability of artifice-based classes.
- Luck – Luck affects gambling and sneaking success. It also affects combat ability of the Gnome Champion class.
- Hand-to-hand (H2H) – H2H affects the attack resolution of melee attacks against opponents.
- Ranged – Ranged the attack resolution of ranged attacks against opponents.
- Damage – Damage is shown as two values, the weapon damage and the weapon enchantment bonus (e.g., "+3"). Both values affect are used in the calculation of the total damage inflicted upon a successful melee or ranged attack.
- Dodge – Dodge affects the attacking resolution of an incoming ranged attack, and determines whether that attack is dodged.
- Parry – Dodge affects the attacking resolution of an incoming melee attack, and determines whether that attack is parried.
- Armor – Damage is shown as two values, the armor value and the armor enchantment bonus (e.g., "+3"). Both values affect the reduction of the damage received from an incoming melee or ranged attack, while the enchantment bonuses affects the reduction of incoming spell damage.
- Magic Resist (MGR) – Magic resist affects the attack resolution of an incoming spell attack, and determines whether that attack is resisted.
- Speed – Speed determines attack order during combat
- Piety – Piety reflects the amount of favor the hero has from each of the seven deities. Piety may be used to purchase temple enchantments. See a more detailed explanation at the article about temples.
Creatures and followers
Creatures and followers use a simplified set of attributes. This simplified set consists of all combat attributes listed above, along with Strength, Intelligence, and Speed. The Vitality, Willpower, Artifice, Luck, and Piety attributes are not used for creatures and followers.