The Central Plains is one of the two surface-level paths out of Valmorgen, with the other being Treldan Wood. The Central Plains contain notable locations such as the Graveyard which in turn contains the Catacombs and Buried Cathedral. Through the Central Plains, players may pass onto the Sovereign Road to reach Mayhew.
In order to access the Central Plains, the player must first obtain the requisite map. The map is given freely after completing The Trial of Venn's Spire. Alternatively, if the hero left Valmorgen through the sewers, the map can be purchased for 600 gold at the Mayhew Map Maker.
- Goblins: All types (Overlords only appear in Goblin Fortress Encounters)
- Rock Golem (only in the special encounter)
- Hell Bear
All of the following locations can be discovered by exploring the central plains.
- Hero's Rest Inn: allows the hero to earn training in Craftsmanship
- Howling Moon Varg Farm: purchase Varg followers
- Graveyard: explorable location that contains the Catacombs and the Buried Cathedral
- Rock Golem Encounter: Leads to a battle with one or two Rock Golems. Yields no reward.
- Traveller Escort: Your hero is offered a known amount of gold to escort a group of weary travelers to the main road for random number of Turns. No enemy encounters will occur during these Turn(s).
- Varg Den: Battle with some Vargs, drops Healing Potions.
- Goblin Outpost: Battle with a group of Goblins (no Goblin Overlord), sometimes drops one of the items from the Fortress list below.
- Goblin Fortress: Battle with a group of Goblins (includes Goblin Overlord), yields gold and an item:
- Find gold
- The "Lost!" Quest
- Caravan of Micarius: Tied with the events of the Royal Scepter Quest. Leads to a fight with a group of Bandits. Your hero will not be able to find this encounter unless the Quest has been received from the old man in the tavern in Valmorgen.