This page describes the game interface in Heroes of Ardania.
Most of the properties of heroes are shown on the left-hand bar of the game's interface, described below.
- Class – Each of the 16 classes have unique characteristics. See the hero classes page for more information.
- Gender – Whether the hero is male or female. Has no actual effect on gameplay.
- Turns – The number of turns a hero has. Many actions in the game require turns to be performed. New players begin with 250 turns to spend and may earn one turn per hour. It is not possible to gain more than one turn per hour. However, players may register multiple heroes, in which case each hero will accumulate one turn per hour separately.
- Gold – Gold is used to purchase items and services. Gold is most commonly gained by adventuring, either directly (collected from slain enemies or from defeated lairs) or by selling loot. There are other ways to gain gold, such as by Guard Duty.
- Level – The level of a hero. A hero can gain the next level by gaining experience. Gaining levels increases the hero's primary stat (1 point per 2 levels) and secondary stats (1 per level), max HP, and proficiency in certain abilities (for certain heroes only). Level also sometimes determines the number of monsters in certain lairs. It is not possible for this figure to decrease.
- HP – A measure of the hero's health. When this drops to zero, the hero dies, resulting in a loss of turns unless the Revive, Resurrection or Reanimation enchantments are active to prevent turns loss. The number in parentheses is the maximum HP the hero has. Hit points are reduced as a character takes damage in combat or by other means, but can be recuperated several ways such as by resting (usually at a temple), using a Healing spell or enchantment, and using healing aids.
- XP – Amount of experience of the hero in a level and the amount needed to attain the next level (in parentheses). Some classes require more XP to level up each time than do others. The graphical bar represents the XP progress to the next level. XP may decrease by dying and can become negative if the character is hit by the Level Leech spell, carried by the Vampire Queen.
- Total weight – The weight of all items carried in the inventory (including gold and equipped items).
- Carry cap. – The amount of weight (based by the Strength stat) a hero can carry without incurring penalties.
- Encumbrance – A percentage value of total weight / carry capacity.
- If encumbrance is under 100%, no penalties are applied.
- 100-110% gives -10 to combat stats.
- 110-120% gives -20 to combat stats and +1 turn used for exploration.
- 120-130% gives -30 to combat stats and +1 turn used for exploration.
- 130-140% gives -40 to combat stats and +2 turns used for exploration.
- 150% or higher results in the hero not being able to journey.
Below the hero Encumbrance bar are five icons that lead to subsections displaying additional properties of the heroes, listed below. Click on the links for more information about each of the following:
- Attributes – The hero attributes are a set of "stats" that define a hero's proficiency in combat. There are two columns of numbers. The column on the left displays the base stats, while the column in the right with numbers in parentheses displays the actual stats after modification by enchantments, spells, and items.
- Items – Items include weapons, armor, secondary equipment (such as shields, headgear, necklaces), and consumables. Items listed in the sidebar are those that are currently active. Clicking the "View Items" link shows the inventory management page.
- Spells – The "Spells" section lists both the spells learned and used by the hero, as well as enchantments conferred to the hero.
- Abilities – Hero abilities are a set of unique attributes for specific purposes, ranging from the ability to use schematics to combat-related skills.
- Followers – Followers are support units hired or obtained by the hero.
Moon cycle and date
This part of the interface displays the current date and moon stance. Is important for a side-quest.
- Main returns you to the in-game area if, for example, you are viewing your inventory.
- The Options panel is an important section that allows you to set your healing aid usage, fleeing conditions, enable auto attack, various warnings (weight, spell expiration), and other useful settings (don't pick up gold, auto-dismiss dead followers etc.). It is also where you can change your password, configure your forum signature, and where you go to delete the character.
- Chat and Forum are in-game mediums for player-to-player communication.
- Logbook is used to send message to other players.
- Journal is an additional section which keep track of certain game elements. The journal includes a quest log, a list of quest items, a list of obtained rumours, the bestiary, and a list of schematics learned by the hero, among other features.
- Dev Forum is an external forum to accompany game, as opposed to the in-game forum.
- Play another hero lets you switch to another hero in your Master Account to play with him or her instead.
Web browser controls
- Keyboard shortcuts
- The "E" key is used to explore.
- The "A" key is used to attack when there is an attack prompt.
- Playing with multiple tabs: Often it is useful to be able to equip or ready particular items depending on the specific in-game encounter.
- The "View Items" automatically opens up the inventory in a new tab, allowing you to adjust your loadout in advance of engaging in any combat on the original tab.
- In a similar vein, you can open the Spells window in yet another tab, to ready or unready spells before combat.
- Accessing your last Combat Log: You may view the report from the last fight you fought (labeled Combat Log in HoA) by visiting this link: http://www.heroesofardania.net/Options/ViewCombatLog.asp?Process=Y